Powered by OrdaSoft!
Font Size

An excellent way of permanently identifying your pet is to have a microchip implanted under its skin. 

Microchips are encoded with an identification number which can be read by scanners. If your pet loses its collar and tag, council's residential amenity officers will still be able to find out where it comes from and contact you. 

Microchipping is now required for all dogs and cats registered with the Council for first time registration.  The Car or Dog must be microchipped prior to registration, due to amendments to the Domestic Animal Act. Working farm dogs are exempt from Microchipping but must be registered with the Horsham Rural City Council. 

All dogs and cats, three months of age and over, must be microchipped and registered. 

Renewals are due 10 April each year. 

Once your pet is registered, yearly renewal notices will be sent out. You can renew your pet registration by completing and returning the yearly renewal notice that will be sent to you or by bringing your yearly renewal notice with payment to the Council Offices. 

If you choose to sterilise your pet, which Council encourages, you must provide with your initial application a Veterinary Certificate or Statutory Declaration. 

The Horsham Rural City Council has "Lifetime Tags" in use, your pet tag and registration number is for the life of the pet and is not replaced each year upon renewal. Replacement tags will be issued free of charge by contacting Council if the existing tag is lost or damaged. 

All dogs and cats newly registered with Council must be microchipped before Council can accept the registration; this includes previously registered dogs and cats transferring from other Councils. Microchipping certificate must be provided with an application form. Microchipping will assist with the recovery if your pet is lost. 

Failure to do so could result in an on the spot fine. From 1 May, 2007, all cat and dog owners are required to have their pets microchipped before being registered to comply with State Government legislation (The Domestic Animals Act 1994). This does not apply to pets that are already registered with Council. 

Back to top