Powered by OrdaSoft!
Font Size


The Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 requires Prescribed Accommodation premises to be registered with Council.

Prescribed Accommodation includes:

  • Residential Accommodation
  • Student Dormitory
  • Holiday Camps
  • Hotel/Motel
  • Hostel
  • Rooming Houses

The Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009 prescribe the following standards for prescribed accommodation that must be met by the proprietor:

  • Overcrowding
  • Maintenance
  • Cleanliness
  • Water supplied
  • Drinking Water
  • Discharge of sewage and waste water
  • Refuse receptacles
  • Refuse disposal
  • Toilet and bathing facilities
  • Register of occupants              
  • Advertising

Contact Council's Environmental Health Officer to register a new Prescribed Accommodation Premises.

Transfer of Registration

If you are purchasing an existing premises you will need a Transfer Inspection conducted to ensure that the premise complies with the Regulations. Council requires a written request for a Transfer inspection from the new proprietor.

A Transfer of Prescribed Accommodation registration form can be obtainedhere.

For a list of the current fees and charges applicable to Prescribed Accommodation click here.

Rooming Houses

Recent changes have led to greater focus on rooming houses with a lot of work going into ensuring that rooming houses are registered and comply. A recent guide has been created to support owners of rooming houses and to describe the minimum requirements for a rooming house.

You can access this guide here. Rooming houses are required to be registered with Council.