Local Government elections are held every four years. The Horsham Rural City Council general election will take place in October 2020. The Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) run a postal election on behalf of Horsham Rural City Council. Ballot papers will be mailed to residents during the period 6 to 8 October 2020. Voting closes at 6pm on 23 October 2020.
Seven Councillors will be elected to represent the municipality. Candidates must undertake the mandatory training, details and registration links below.
Council's Election Period Policy is a requirement of Section 93B of the Local Government Act 1989 (‘the Act’) and has been developed to ensure that Horsham Rural City Council’s local general elections to be held in October 2020, and subsequent elections, are conducted in a manner that is ethical, fair and equitable, and are publicly perceived as such.
Information on voting, voting entitlements, timelines and enrollment is available on the Victorian Electoral Commission website.
The following external links are a valuable resource for prospective candidates and voters:
- Mandatory Candidate Training (this training must be done to be eligible to stand) Wednesday, 5 August 2020 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM August 5 registration or Saturday, 22 August 2020 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM August 22 registration.
- The Prospective Candidate Flyer(PDF, 125KB), and the VLGA "Your Campaign Toolkit" provide useful information for prospective candidates. Printed copies are available by request please call 5382 9777
- The Victorian Local Governance Association actively works to increase women’s participation in local governments as citizens, candidates and councillors. To help achieve this there is training for women who are potential candidates for local government. Information about this can be found on the following page Local Women Leading Change Online
- Prospective candidates are encouraged to attend or view a Council meeting. Details are available on the Council Minutes and Agendas page.
- Questions in relation to the Council elections should be directed to Diana McDonald, Co-ordinator Governance, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nominations open on September 17 and Close at 12 noon on September 22
- Close of Postal Voting - Friday 23 October 2020, 6pm
- Statutory Meeting - Thursday 12 November 2020, 5.30pm
- First meeting of new Council - Monday 23 November 2020, 5.30pm
The content on this web page will be updated as information comes to hand from external sources, so please check back regularly.