Quantong Recreation Reserve Oval Upgrade
The Quantong Recreation Reserve is the key open space and recreational facility for the small rural community of Quantong, and the Oval has been upgraded with support from Sport & Recreation Victoria, the Quantong Recreation Reserve Committee of Management, and Horsham Rural City Council.
This project was co-designed by the Horsham Rural City Council Recreation & Open Space Planning Team, Representatives of the Noradjuha Quantong Football Netball Club and the Quantong Recreation Reserve Committee of Management.
As identified in the Horsham Open Space Strategy, the Quantong Recreation Reserve provides critical open space in the region and as such requires appropriate investment to ensure a safe and accessible space for all users.
The project included three distinct components:
1. Upgrade of irrigation system
The previous irrigation system was failing and requiring continual maintenance and repair at a significant ongoing cost. This component of the project included the below:
- Removal of existing irrigation system including all underground piping
- Replacement of irrigation with new system
- Upgrade of controller and running of three phase power.
2. Improved drainage
The previous drainage was insufficient with a limited number of PVC pipes taking subsurface water from the playing surface towards the table drain outside of the Recreation Reserve perimeter. The drainage solution was been identified byt the HRCC Projects office in consultation with a local supplier and the Quantong Working Group and was as follows:
- Sleeved subsurface irrigation (removes risk to player safety of sliding into drainage pit)
- Installation of grade to swale drains
- All drainage directed to table drain.
3. Turf Solution
The previous oval comprised a mix of turf varieties, many of which are cool season grasses and not appropriate to year round usage of the oval in a warm and drying climate. The turf solution identified by the HRCC Parks and Gardens team in consultation with the key located stakeholders was as follows:
- Herbicide treatment of oval to remove all turf varieties excluding existing couch
- Rotary hoe of oval and spread existing couch across entire oval
- Application of 50mm topsoil to support couch regeneration.
Total project cost: $ 234,517
Grant funding: $175,887 (Sport & Recreation Victoria Country Football and Netball Program)
Quantong Recreation Reserve Committee of Management contribution: $ 46,130
HRCC contribution: $ 12,500