Do I need a permit?
Whether you are a new or established business, you will likely need a permit to operate - some businesses may even need more than one permit. This page will help you determine the type of permits you may need and apply if you're ready.
There are six different business permits.
If you answer yes to any of the following questions you'll likely need a planning permit:
- Are you changing the business type from its current form?
- Are you changing the trading hours of the business?
- Are you applying for or altering a liquor licence?
- Are you adding or changing signage?
- Are you looking to paint a heritage listed building?
- Do you have a car park or are you seeking a reduction in car parking?
If you answer yes to the following questions you will need to apply for a building permit:
- Are you planning on carrying out any internal fit outs or alterations on your premises?
- Are you planning to carry out any structural alteration to the exterior of the building (including increasing window and door sizes)?
- Do you want to increase the number of people that can occupy your building at any one time?
- Are you changing the use of the premises? (i.e. converting a shop to a restaurant/Bar)
- Are you altering any essential safety measures? (i.e fire hydrants, fire hose reels, exit signs, emergency lighting or paths of travel to an exit)
If you answer yes to the following questions you'll likely need a food permit:
- Do you intend to sell food or drink on the premises of your business?
If you answer yes to any of the following questions you'll likely need a health permit:
- Do you intend to sell health related services on your premises? (i.e hairdressing, beauty treatments, tattooing or skin penetration or piercing)
- Are you opening an accommodation business such as a hotel, motel, hostel, student dorms, holiday camps, rooming house or residential accommodation?
If you answer yes to the following questions you'll likely need a septic tank permit:
- Is your building located outside of the Horsham or Natimuk sewerage service areas?