Prescribed Accommodation

The Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 requires Prescribed Accommodation premises to be registered with Council.

Prescribed Accommodation includes:

  • Residential Accommodation
  • Student Dormitory
  • Holiday Camps
  • Hotel/Motel
  • Hostel
  • Rooming Houses

The Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009 prescribe the following standards for prescribed accommodation that must be met by the proprietor:

  • Overcrowding
  • Maintenance
  • Cleanliness
  • Water supplied
  • Drinking Water
  • Discharge of sewage and waste water
  • Refuse receptacles
  • Refuse disposal
  • Toilet and bathing facilities
  • Register of occupants              
  • Advertising

Contact Council's Environmental Health Officer to register a new Prescribed Accommodation Premises.

Transfer of Registration

If you are purchasing an existing premises you will need a Transfer Inspection conducted to ensure that the premise complies with the Regulations. Council requires a written request for a Transfer inspection from the purchasing solicitor.

An inspection report will be sent along with the transfer form to be completed and returned with the appropriate fee.

Application for transfer of Prescribed Accommodation

Rooming Houses

Recent changes have led to greater focus on rooming houses with a lot of work going into ensuring that rooming houses are registered and comply. A recent guide has been created to support owners of rooming houses and to describe the minimum requirements for a rooming house.

You can access the rooming house guide here. Rooming houses are required to be registered with Council.