Pool and Spa Registration and Inspection
On 1 December 2019, new laws to improve swimming pool and spa safety came into effect in Victoria. The State Government has introduced new registration, inspection and certification requirements for property owners.
As part of this change, the State Government requires owners to register their pool and spa with their local council and have their safety barrier inspected once every four years.
Registration closed on 1 November 2020. If you own a pool or spa, including portable or relocatable swimming pools, REGISTER NOW to avoid an infringement.
Once registered you must have your pool or spa inspected by the date specified. Owners must lodge their certificates of pool and spa barrier compliance with council within 30 days of the Compliance Certificate issue date.
Council's Swimming Pool inspector Shane Ledgar, provides a Pool/Spa inspection service. If you would like to organise an inspection please contact Council by email at email@example.com or phone (03) 5382 9796.
Swimming Pool Information
What is considered a swimming pool and requires a barrier (must be registered)
All swimming pools and spas containing water greater than 300mm (30cm) must have a compliant safety barrier to restrict access to the pool area by young children (under the age of five). Barriers are required for:
- In-ground pools and spas
- Above-ground pools and spas, including inflatable pools, holding more than 300mm (30cm) of water
- Indoor pools and spas
- Bathing and wading pools containing more than 300mm (30cm) of water.
Barriers aren’t required for: (do not register)
- Bird baths
- Water supply/storage tanks
- Fish ponds
- Baths used for personal hygiene and emptied after each use
- Spas inside a building (e.g. in a bathroom) used for personal hygiene and emptied after each use
- Pools or spas that cannot contain a water depth of more than 300mm
- Inflatable swimming pools (typically toddler or wading pools) that cannot contain a water depth greater than 300mm.
Fees set by State Government:
Registration of Pool: $34.20
Information Search Fee $50.70 (NB This fee will be waived if a copy of the Building Permit is provided)
Compliance Certificate Lodgement Fee - Compliant Pool $21.90
Compliance Certificate Lodgement Fee - Non Compliant Pool $413.40
For information regarding requirements for swimming pools and spas in Victoria please check Victorian Building Authority or Swimming Pool & Spa Association Victoria.