Liquor Licence

Any person or organisation that intends to supply liquor in Victoria must apply for a licence through the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation.

The type of licence required will depend on the type of event or business you are running and how you wish to supply the liquor but may include 

  • Restaurant and cafe
  • Temporary limited licence (event under 5,000 people)
  • Major event licence (event over 5,000 people)
  • Bottleshop
  • Sporting and community club
  • BYO (BYO permit, party bus)
  • Winery or brewery

If you are planning a new event or starting a new business or making changes to your existing licence, Horsham Rural City have a business development team that can assist you.  Contact during business hours (9am to 5pm) on 03 5382 9777 or email

In some cases a Planning Permit may also be required for the sale and consumption of liquor.  This is to ensure that licensed premises are situated in appropriate locations, and to ensure that the impact of the licensed premises on the amenity of the surrounding area is considered.  

Common types of liquor licences that require a Planning Permit include:-

  • Restaurant and / or Cafe;
  • On Premises Liquor Licence (The sale of liquor to people to consume on the premises, and to purchase to take away);
  • An increase in area that liquor is allowed to be consumed or supplied;
  • An increase in the number of patrons allowed to consume alcohol under an existing licence;
  • An increase in the hours of trading allowed under an existing licence.

For a full list of Planning Permit requirements and exemptions, please refer to Clause 52.27 (Licensed Premises) of the Horsham Planning Scheme. 

An application can be made online and together with the fee and relevant documentation including plans of premises(PDF, 778KB), hours of operation and patron numbers, as outlined in Licensed Premised Checklist(DOCX, 16KB).