Naming Places


Horsham Rural City Council is a naming authority and is responsible for submitting naming proposals that comply with the Naming Rules to the Registrar. The Naming Rules are the statutory guidelines provided for under Section 5 of the Geographic Place Names Act 1998; they are therefore mandatory for all naming authorities including Horsham Rural City Council.

Generally these names are chosen from the Council's approved list. If you wish to add a new name to the street naming list, you must submit an application to Council for approval with substantiating information to support the request.

Council Street Name Application Form

Printable Council Street Name Application Form(PDF, 48KB)

Street Name History

Read the story behind each of the approved names on the February 2024 Street Summary(PDF, 207KB).

Council's Approved Street Name List

View the street names currently on the approved Waiting list for street names(PDF, 116KB).

Further information about VICNAMES and geographic place names in Victoria may be obtained from:

The Registrar of Geographic Names

Melbourne Victoria 3001
T +61 3 9194 0282
W Office of Geographic Names

Road, Feature and Locality Naming Policy(PDF, 653KB)

This policy provides a system of ensuring roads, features and localities within Council are appropriately named and recorded in a consistent manner and in accordance with the Naming Rules.

Initiating a proposal

The proposal needs to be submitted to Council. A check-list available in APPENDIX C of the Naming Rules can be used to help ensure appropriate information is included in your proposal.

Common questions answered

Who can propose a: New name? Name change? Boundary change?

Anyone (individuals, community groups, organisations, government departments or authorities) including Council can propose a new name, change to an existing name or boundary change.


Who can develop a naming or boundary change proposal?

A naming authority. Naming authorities include Councils, government departments and other authorities, and some private organisations.


Who can object or support the naming proposal Council has?

Anyone (individuals, community groups, organisations, government departments or authorities).

Council must consider any submissions received during the public consultation period. The consultation period will be outlined in the public notice.


What is an objection?

An objection is a way for members of the community to inform Council that one or more people disagree with a naming or renaming proposal. An objection must explain why a proposal is opposed.

Simply lodging opposition without an explanation does not allow Council to understand the underlying issues.


I received a notice of proposal for naming/renaming of a road, feature or locality. What do I do now?

Does this proposal directly affect you? E.g. your address will change

Decide if you support the proposal or not.

If you do not support the proposal, you may seek further information and/or submit an objection to Council as per instructions in Council’s public notice.

You can also make a submission in support of the proposal.


What happens with objections that have been submitted to Council during the consultation period?

Council must consider all responses and decide whether to accept or reject the proposal.

Council with either decide to proceed with the naming proposal or reject the proposal. A rejected proposal can be altered or another proposal may be made.


I don’t support Council’s decision to submit the proposal to Geographic Names Victoria (GNV)

You can make an appeal by contacting the Registrar of Geographic Names

Submissions must be lodged directly with the Registrar within the minimum 30 days allocated for feedback.


Who has authority to endorse and enter a name in VICNAMES?

The Registrar of Geographic Names.

The Minister responsible under the Act may direct the Registrar to enter a name.


To assist with naming and further information