Rates and Charges


General Rates

All Councils in Australia charge property rates. They provide Council with the money that is needed to pay for a broad range of services, programs, facilities and infrastructure from parks and playgrounds to roads and immunisations. 

Rates are levied on each property based on its Capital Improved Value, being the market value of the property including land and all improvements, but not including chattels, furniture and fittings (check the related Valuations page to see how Capital Improved Valuations are determined).

Rates on a property are calculated by multiplying the Capital Improved Value by the applicable rate in the dollar. The rate in the dollar used is determined by the land use classification that the Valuer assigns to the property and Council's Revenue and Rating Plan. The annual rate notice for a property will show the classification and the applicable rate in the dollar.

  •  Residential Rate in the Dollar:
0.004058 cents (100% differential) 
  •  Farm Rate in the Dollar: 
0.002029 cents (50% differential)
  •  Commercial Rate in the Dollar:
0.003855 cents (95% differential)
  •  Industrial Rate in the Dollar:
0.004058 cents (100% differential)
  •  Cultural and Recreational Rate in the Dollar:     
0.002029 cents (50% differential)


Each year Council's average rate revenue income must not be more than the rate cap set by the Minister in line with the Consumer Price Index. For the 2023/2024 financial year the cap has been set at 3.5%.

Municipal Charge

A municipal charge is a flat charge that is used to offset some of Council’s administrative costs and ensures that all properties make a standard contribution. The total amount raised from a municipal charge cannot be more than 20% of the total raised from the combination of municipal charge and general rates. 

A municipal charge of $200.00 is levied on all rateable properties, with exemptions applicable where more than one farming property makes up a single farming enterprise operated by the same person or persons. Where a farming enterprise consists of more than one dwelling, a municipal charge is applicable to every additional occupied dwelling.

Farmers can apply for an exemption from paying more than one municipal charge with the Single Farming Enterprise Exemption Form(PDF, 703KB).

If you own farm land and have already filled out this form and submitted it to Council in the past, but just wish to add a newly acquired property to your enterprise, you can complete our Single Farming Enterprise Exemption - Addition to Existing Enterprise Form.(PDF, 555KB)

Garbage Charges

Garbage charges for the collection and disposal of domestic refuse are levied on all residential properties in the Horsham and Natimuk townships, at the following annual charges per bin:

Type of Charge  Charge
Urban Bin Service $527
Rural Bin Service $367
Additional General Waste Bin                 $149
Additional Recycling Bin  $149
Additional Organics Bin $149
Additional Glass Bin  $85
Commercial Bin Service (weekly general waste/fortnightly recycling)                  $509
Additional/Standalone Commercial General Waste Bin (weekly)  $318
Additional/Standalone Commercial Recycling Bin  $191
Additional Commercial Organics Bin $191
Additional Commercial Glass Bin $96


Replacement of lost, stolen or damaged bins may be at a cost to property owners or occupiers.  You can upsize, downsize or replace your current garbage bin by completing this form. 

Further information on the new 4-Bin Service is available here.

Free Transfer Station Load

Council is offering all ratepayers with a Garbage or Recycling charge listed on the front of their rate notice one free load of waste in a 6’x 4’ trailer or a car boot delivered to Horsham Transfer Station, 93 Kenny Road Horsham; or Quantong Transfer Station, 497 Lanes Avenue Quantong.

Please present your original 2023/2024 annual rate notice to the site attendant to redeem.

There is a limit of one load per 2023/2024 rate notice.

Please note that no trailer cages are to be used, and no mattresses, tyres or asbestos will be accepted as part of a free load.

Further information on Council's transfer stations is available here.

Pensioner Concession

A maximum rebate of $353.20 on your rates is available upon application to eligible pensioners for their principal place of residence.

You must hold one of the following cards to apply for the municipal rates concession:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (given for TPI, War Widow, EDA or POW)

To claim a concession on your rates and charges you must ensure that:

  • You have one of the eligible concession cards and it is valid at the time of application
  • You are the person responsible for payment of the rate account
  • Your name is on the rate account
  • Your name and address on the rate account matches that on the concession card

To view a full list of pension concessions, benefits and assistance available to Victorians visit the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing website.

To claim a concession on your rates you will need to complete a Municipal Rates Concession Application Form and submit it to Council together with a copy of your current concession card. Having been granted a rate concession, no further applications are required unless you change your residential address. 

Fire Services Property Levy

The Victorian Government introduced a property based fire levy from 1 July 2013 in response to the recommendations from the 2009 Victorian Bushfire Royal Commission.  

For more information on the fire services property levy and frequently asked questions visit the State Revenue Office website.

Due Dates and Payments

In Full by 15 February 2024 OR

Four Instalments over the year as follows:

  • 1st Instalment:     2 October 2023
  • 2nd Instalment:   30 November 2023
  • 3rd Instalment:    29 February 2024
  • 4th Instalment:    31 May 2024

If the first instalment is not paid by the first instalment due date then you will automatically be required to pay your rates in full by 15 February 2024.  Notices for the second, third and fourth instalments will be forwarded at least 14 days prior to the due dates.  Please note that the first instalment includes any arrears and interest carried over from 2022/2023.

How to make a payment

Electronic Delivery of Rate Notices

You can choose to receive your rate notices electronically using either methods below.  A paper copy of the notice will no longer be sent in the mail once you have registered for an electronic notice.

BPay View
You can apply through your online banking to receive your rate notices via your online banking account. For further information visit the BPay website.

Receive Your Rate Notices via Email
Register at hrcc.enotices.com.au to receive your future rate notices by email. If you have registered with hrcc.enotices.com.au you can also access past and current rate notices electronically.

How to make a payment

Interest and Penalties

Rates are levied annually.  There is a choice to pay in four instalments or as a lump sum, but payments of any value can be made towards your rate account at any time. Details and payment options are outlined on each rate notice.

Unpaid Rates

Unpaid rates remain a debt against the property, regardless of any change of ownership. If rates or charges remain overdue for more than three years without an arrangement made with Council, a court order may be obtained to either sell, or assume ownership of the land to recover the debt.

For more information see our Rates and Charges Debt Collection Policy 2023.(PDF, 575KB)

Penalty Interest

If you are issued with a rate notice you should make sure you give it prompt attention. Council charges penalty interest on unpaid rates and charges in accordance with the Local Government Act 2020 and the Penalty Interest Rates Act 1983.

Financial Hardship

Horsham Rural City Council understands that members of our community may be experiencing financial hardship. We remain committed to assisting you during this time and have some measures in place to help you manage your accounts with Council.

Flexible payment arrangements can be negotiated – our friendly team in the rates department are happy to talk to you about your account, what you can afford, and how frequently you can make payments. We encourage you to please contact us to discuss your account so we can help you manage the outstanding amount according to your individual circumstances.

Council have also implemented a waiver of penalty interest on all overdue accounts where a payment arrangement has been established and is adhered to.

For more information see our Rates and Charges Financial Hardship Policy 2023.(PDF, 615KB)

If you are having difficulties paying your rates we encourage you to make contact with Council by one of the following methods;

  • Lodge a Service Request online.
  • Call us on 03 5382 9777 to speak with a member of our rates department team.
  • Send an email to council@hrcc.vic.gov.au.

If you believe that you will suffer genuine financial hardship by paying your rates, you may apply to Council for a rates deferral or waiver using or our online Application for Financial Hardship Assistance Form, or by using our printable PDF version of the Application for Financial Hardship Assistance Form.(PDF, 224KB) 

Revenue and Rating Plan

The Revenue and Rating Plan covers a period of four years following each Council election, and establishes the revenue raising framework within which Council proposes to work.

The requirements for a Revenue and Rating Plan have been legislated through the Local Government Act 2020, and as such the previous Rating Policy and Rating Strategy have now been combined in to a single Revenue and Rating Plan 2021 - 2024 (June2023)(PDF, 746KB).

Request a Rate Notice Reprint

Due to privacy laws, you must be the property owner to obtain the property's rate notice or any other property and/or rates information. We are unable to discuss a rate account if you are a spouse, partner or other family member.

To get a rate notice reprint, you will need to tell us:

  • which property you need a reprint for, and
  • your full name, contact number, email address and date of birth

Please complete our online form to request a copy of your rate notice.

Land Information Certificates

To apply directly with our office for a Land Information Certificate please complete our Property Enquiry Application Form Property Enquiry Application Form(PDF, 268KB) and email it together with a copy title search and plan to council@hrcc.vic.gov.au. We will then be in touch with you to arrange payment.