Owner Builders

House frame.jpg

Owner Builders must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board in order to obtain a building permit to carry out domestic building work valued over $16,000.

Am I an owner builder?

An Owner Builder is defined as a person who is not in the business of building, who constructs or renovates a domestic building on his or her own land. 

As an owner builder, you are restricted to obtaining building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property, in any 3-year period. 

Certificate of consent

A Certificate of Consent is an individual's written approval to act as an Owner Builder on their own land in Victoria. 

If you intend to apply for a building permit for domestic building work as an Owner Builder you must provide a Certificate of Consent, issued by the Building Practitioners Board, to your Building Surveyor.  

A Building Permit cannot be issued until the Certificate of Consent has been lodged with your Building Surveyor. 

Further information

Further information can be obtained from Victorian Building Authority Owner Builders