Common Enquiries

Abandoned Shopping Trolleys


Animals/Domestic Birds and Poultry




Open Air Burning and Incinerators

Permit to burn grass and stubble

Recreational Vehicles

Removal of Wood

Street Parties/Festivals/Circus

Toy Vehicles

Trading Activities


Abandoned Shopping Trolleys: Shopping trolleys must not be abandoned on a road or in a municipal place

Alcohol: Unless otherwise authorised by Council and at premises licensed under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998, a person must not consume any alcohol or have in his or her possession any alcohol in an unsealed container at any time in an area declared by Council to be an alcohol free zone, at any time on a road, at any time in a car-park, in a motor vehicle parked on a road or in a public car-park or between the hours of 11.00 pm and 6.00 am in any municipal place whether or not in a motor vehicle

Animals/Domestic Birds and Poultry: A permit may be required to keep Animals/Domestic Birds and Poultry depending on the type of animal, size of land and number

A person in charge of a dog in a public place must carry the means to collect faeces deposited and also dispose of such in an appropriate manner

Any person in charge of a dog in any built up area unless at a dedicated dog off leash area, must ensure that the animal is secured by a chain, cord or leash

Busking: A permit must be obtained from Council

Camping: Without a permit a person must not camp on a road or municipal place in a tent, caravan, motor vehicle or any other temporary or makeshift structure

Fireworks: Without a permit, fireworks displays or ignition of fireworks on a municipal place, public place and/or within one kilometre of any town boundary is prohibited

A permit must be applied for at least 14 days before the proposed fireworks display

Open Air Burning and Incinerators: Smoke and ash from open-air burning is becoming less acceptable due to health and amenity concerns and alternatives to burning are encouraged, such as mulching and re-use of wood. In general, open-air burning is discouraged particularly when there are potential impacts on neighbours

Without a permit obtained from the Horsham Rural City Council, a person must not light an incinerator or burn in the open air in a built up area or within a residential area or in a municipal place

NOTE:  Permits cannot be issued during a Fire Danger Period declared under the Country Fire Authority Act 1958.  Although a Local Law Permit may be required in some situations, the requirements of the Fire Danger Period and Total Fire Bans must be complied with.

Application for Local Law Permit to Burn

Recreational Vehicles: Recreational vehicles on a shared footpath or bicycle path must not be operated at a speed of more than 6 km per hour

Removal of Wood: Without a permit a person must not collect wood from a Council managed road or a municipal place

Street Parties/Festivals/Circus: A permit must be obtained from Council

Toy Vehicles: Skateboards and the like must not be used in the Horsham Central Business District

Trading Activities: Without a permit a person must not display, sell or offer for sale, any vehicle or goods including raffle tickets, on a road or municipal place