Swimming pool and spa barriers
Registration of Pools/Spas – New Requirement
On 1 December 2019, new laws to improve swimming pool and spa safety came into effect in Victoria. The State Government has introduced new registration, inspection and certification requirements for property owners.
As part of this change, the State Government require owners to register their pool and spa with their local council and have their safety barrier inspected once every four years.
If you own a pool or spa, including portable or relocatable swimming pools, REGISTER NOW before closing date of registration (1 November 2020).
What is considered a swimming pool and requires a Barrier (Must be registered)
All swimming pools and spas containing water greater than 300 mm (30 cm) must have a compliant safety barrier to restrict access to the pool area by young children (under the age of five). Barriers are required for:
- in-ground pools and spas
- above-ground pools and spas, including inflatable pools, holding more than 300 mm (30 cm) of water
- indoor pools and spas
- bathing and wading pools containing more than 300 mm (30 cm) of water.
Barriers aren’t required for: (Do not register)
- bird baths
- water supply/storage tanks
- fish ponds
- baths used for personal hygiene and emptied after each use
- spas inside a building (e.g. in a bathroom) used for personal hygiene and emptied after each use
- pools or spas that cannot contain a water depth of more than 300 mm
- inflatable swimming pools (typically toddler or wading pools) that cannot contain a water depth greater than 300 mm.
Information for owners of an existing pool or spa
As a pool or spa owner, you have an obligation to maintain the operation of your swimming pool or spa barrier to prevent access to the pool or spa.
Fees set by State Government:
Registration of Pool: $31.80
Information Search Fee $47.20 (NB This fee will be waived if a copy of the Building Permit is provided)
For information regarding requirements for swimming pools and spas in Victoria please check Victorian Building Authority or Swimming Pool & Spa Association Victoria.